Museums and places to visit

Armistice Clearing Memorial

COMPIEGNESee Gallery
a a a a

About us

A crossroads territory at the heart of the Great War, a strategic department and the last rampart before Paris, Oise was also the first department to become French again and hosted the signing of the armistice at Compiègne, which then became the symbol of Victory and Peace.

La Clairière de l'Armistice, a quiet place in the heart of the Compiégnoise forest, suddenly entered history, symbolizing in the eyes of the whole world the end of hostilities during the Great War, the end of four years of a terrible conflict.

We are on the night of November 10, 1918, the railway car, used by Marshal Foch as an office car, has been stationed since the evening of November 7 on a double track that the French artillery had set up during the war. The Marshal received the Germans there on November 11 at 2:15 a.m., who agreed to sign the Armistice at 5:15 a.m. The agreement takes effect “on the 11th day of the 11th month at XNUMX am sharp. »

If the original wagon is no longer, destroyed on Hitler's orders after the avenging Armistice of 1940, its twin hides nothing of the crucial moment and reveals where the different personalities were placed at the time of the signing. Next to the wagon, the memorial museum of the armistice houses nearly 800 black and white stereoscopic photos, striking testimonies of the life of the soldiers, of the mobilization, of Verdun, of the Victory Day.

We measure the extent of the reborn hope of leading a peaceful existence again, in the conviction that this war will be the Der des Der…

Pratical information

Services
  • Free parking
  • Toilets
  • Shop
Payment method
  • Credit card
  • Cash

Access

Armistice Glade
road to Soissons
60200 PERFORMANCE
How to get there